8/05/2007

Tragedy on I-35W

I won’t come back an all the details, in the past few days all medias did it and are still talking about it. I was blown away when I heard it on Fox News via XM Radio when the voice of Shepard Smith replaced Bill O’Reilly. I shared the news with my friend Toto that was following me on I-94 in direction of Detroit.





I have no new information, no scoops but what I ear from all the experts on the radio and TV leaves me questionable remarks. Of we take the time to read or listen in Quebec the reports of the Johnson Commission on the collapse of the De La Concorde viaduct last September, what the American channels are giving us is almost a translation when it comes to the Minneapolis bridge collapse.



Without being able to say exactly when, or what happened to it, a bill was proposed in Minnesota to put in a minimum percentage of the taxes revenues from any taxes relevant to cars and trucks in the state, to the Highway Trust Fund to repair and improve the highway system in that state. This is just to show you that not only in Quebec the revenues are not allocated to the purposes they are collected.

Coincidence that such an event happened in that state, during rush hour traffic? Many Medias have made comparisons with other bridges, not viaducts, which fell over the years. I think only one can be comparable in the cause of a structural defect not a collision from a boat or barge.

In June of 1983, the Mianus River Bridge that collapse in Connecticut after an anchor in the structure broke and took a section down killing 3 persons.







May 1980, The Sunshine Skyway that runs across the Tampa Bay was the site of another tragedy. The main span over the boat canal was brought down after a freighter struck the base of the bridge. A commercial bus with 26 persons and 7 other vehicles dropped with it. One man survived.





Another bridge, in Oklahoma, had a similar story. On I-40 a bridge was taken away by an out of control barge. This time, 3 persons died in the tumble.








Forced to admit that some structures have failed to stand the test of time over the years but, the risk they fall resulting from an accident is greater then an unpredictable collapse like the I-35W Bridge or the
Mianus River Bridge. Let’s hope the statistics don’t change in a short term and this will be a wake up call to the authorities.

Jean Catudal

Aucun commentaire: