5/12/2007

A Real Nice Volvo!


This morning, while doing a fuel stop in Lake Station, I saw this truck. A Volvo with a 120” sleeper is not a common thing in any truck stop. I was wondering if I was the only one to have that idea to take a day-cab and put on a custom sleeper. I got my answer. But to be honest, I had seen one at the MATS in Louisville last year, in the parking a FedEx truck with about the same setup.

Except, this morning, the owner was there and he gladly answered some of my questions. Donald Beukman, a very good guy, even gave me a little bit more. We talked a good 45 minutes while enjoying the nice sunshine.

I couldn’t tour the interior, Ms Dale Beukman, which is also the co-driver, was in her rest period. I can tell you what you can find inside. Refrigerator-freezer, sink, toilet and shower, double bunks, a table and storage, lots of it for the long trips they have to do.

DD Haulit, from Florida, is leased to Clark Transfer and they haul shows. Being out on the road for months at the time and stopped for days, they need a good living area.

About the truck, it’s a day-cab with a 274” wheelbase, powered by a Cummins ISX engine, 18 speed automatic transmission, 8Kw generator, deep cycle marine batteries, topped off by a 120” by 96” custom sleeper by ICT.

2 other questions you may have, the weigh of it is 25,000lbs. You can see Joe Brown of S+S Volvo in Lima Ohio for the specs and you will need a cheque of $186,000 to roll it out with all warranties and prep.

But, it’s a real nice truck!

Aucun commentaire: