7/08/2007

6 Priority Actions of the Minister of Transport, 5 time Bravo!


You surely all know now, many topics made the news this week for the transportation industry and all road users. Not only our Minister of Transport wants to upgrade the penalties for speeders, DUI's and cell phone users, She also followed the foot steps of the Ontario Minister annoucing the mandatory use of speed limiter for heavy trucks in their Provinces.

Some declarations in the medias made the few hair I have left raise up. I won't repeat them here, because some of them my recollection is not good but you heard them or read them.

I say Bravo for the repeat offenders that still drive while under the influence of alcool. If someone has such a poor judgement to drive when highly intoxicated, more then once, in my book it should be a lifetime suspension of his rights without any conditions. Human stupidity has a price and I don't have to pay of my life for it neither one of my loved ones.

I say Bravo for limiting driving distraction by the use of cell phones without a hands free device. Many may not agree with me but I am using one since many years and I feel better then holding up to my head a receiver.

I say Bravo for higher fines and suspensions for extreme speeders. I admit, I did my share of high speeding in the past. This is a good time to restart the debate on ajusting the speed limits on our highways and enforce them.

I say Bravo for putting back mandatory drivers education for new drivers and less demerit points. The younger generation will complain but they can make their point by arguing the statistics on their case.

Jean Catudal

Aucun commentaire: